Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cooking up a storm!

I had some small amounts of different kinds of ground meat in the freezer, leftover from my summertime Great Burger Experiment of developing recipes for the Build A Better Burger Contest http://www.buildabetterburger.com/. So I decided to thaw some ground beef (chuck), pork, and lamb and create Everything But the Kitchen Sink Chili. I added lots of veggies, two kinds of beans, a little beef broth and tomato sauce, and plenty of spices. I hope it tastes as good as it smells because it smells wonderful right now!

(I drained most of the fat off of the meat, because I'm used to chili made with extra-lean ground beef, not these fattier meats. The beans and veggies will balance out any remaining fat.)

At the same time, I grew tired of looking at the cans of pumpkin and evaporated 1% milk sitting on the shelf, so I am baking some pumpkin pie. I didn't want to fuss with making a regular pie crust so I made a graham cracker crust - again, the graham cracker crumbs had been on the shelf for awhile. Don't worry, nothing's past it's expiration date - I checked!

It has been a day of making good things out of ignored pantry items and leftovers. Robert will sometimes look in the fridge and cupboards, and say "there's nothing to eat, we have to go shopping," and is always amazed when I'm able to "make food out of nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment