Saturday, September 18, 2010

Closet Cleaning

Spent a good part of today re-organizing our bedroom walk-in closet. Now there are only shoes, neatly arranged, by color and type on the floor -- no belts, scarves or various other things that may have fallen. I organized my clothes by color and type also so it will be easier to get ready for church or work. All my very casual and workout clothes are in dresser drawers.

I ended up with a large kitchen garbage bag full of clothes to throw away, two bags to give away, and a huge lawn trash bag of winter things that I will probably only use during a few days in January or February.

Best part was that Robert vacuumed the closet floor! I just hate vacuuming, because I can't stand the sound of the machine!

All of the give-away stuff is in decent shape, it just doesn't fit me any longer because I've lost weight. I thought for a minute that perhaps I should have a yard sale. Then I thought about how remote our neighborhood is, how hot the weather is, and the ever-present possibility of an afternoon thunderstorm. We are on a dead-end street so we don't have any through traffic. So, even though I could use some extra cash, I thought it better to donate all of it to a charity thrift store. It will bless the charity and some people who need bargain clothes. Some of the shirts were old youth ministry tees that have faith-filled sayings on them, maybe they will even inspire someone or at least make them smile. It is a small way that I'm able to give when I don't have much money to share.

The whole process of sorting and discarding was somewhat emotional. I didn't want to get rid of an outfit that Robert's mom gave me about five years ago, simply because it reminds me of her and the shopping trip when we picked it out together for my birthday. I've worn and washed it so much, it is looking old and it's a bit too loose and pajama-like now -- not as flattering. Robert says the floral pattern reminds me of the clothes that Maria made out of draperies for the Captain's kids in The Sound of Music. He wanted me to get rid of it. But I kept it anyway and rotated it into the group of clothes I use for bike rides and exercise clothes. Just want to hang on to it a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment