Monday, September 6, 2010

Good health

I have been doing really well on my weight loss / improved health efforts that I started in late June of this year.

I am tracking everything I eat and drink and my exercise on http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/. I will try to keep this up at least until the end of the calendar year. I’m just now adding specific exercise like walking and biking (above normal housework, standing all day at school and other normal activity). I have been reducing my daily intake as I lose, using the online calculator which relies on the logic that a smaller mass does not need as much food. Anyway, it is all very healthful and monitored, and I am not using any weight loss medicines or super-low-calorie diets to do it.

A plus I’ve seen so far is that as long as I keep my sodium very low (under 1500 mg daily), my blood pressure stays low, so I don’t have to take any meds for it. Found that is trickier than keeping the calories low. Have to make everything from scratch, but I like to cook, so that’s no problem. I can’t afford restaurant dining right now, so that is a blessing in disguise, because I am not tempted to eat unhealthful things. It’s one thing to limit portion size, but if you don’t know exactly how something was made, you can really only guess as to how much you can have. I bring my lunch to work daily, so I know exactly what’s in it, and Robert and I usually cook breakfast and dinner together daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment